Common Grounds Coffee Roaster Menteng
My first time visiting Common Grounds was in July 2023. I was still really interested in coffee, but hadn't reached my specialty V60 stage of coffee exploration yet. Espresso was my variation of choice. I had been recovering from years of bad, burnt coffee and enjoying more subtle fruity flavors. Indonesia opened my mind to coffee. You could say I started my specialty coffee journey in Jakarta.
My first time at Common Grounds was eye-opening. I was walking around Menteng after checking out some art exhibitions and came across this beautiful mansion at the corner of the street. Walking in, I was mesmerized by the beautiful interior. The space was so well lit, with an island table decorated with cakes and pastries, and coffee sections to one side.
The staff was as welcoming as the space itself. Some of the nicest people I've interacted with at a cafe. I was immediately greeted by barista Tria. She asked me what I was looking for and made a few recommendations after we talked about my coffee preferences. Since I was exploring espresso, she suggested her winning espresso blend. Yes, I later found out she had won 5th place at the Indonesia Barista Championship in 2023.
I've been back to Common Grounds multiple times after that and have always had a great experience. I've since tried their V60 brews with beans from Java, Toraja and Sumatra and have enjoyed each and every one of them. Their brews have a very refined, pleasant flavor. I know Indonesian beans can be a bit strong on the fermented flavor for a lot of people, but I absolutely love them.
Indonesian coffee has this three-dimensional mouthfeel or kokumi as they say in Japanese. Every sip is a flavor ballet, and Common Grounds Menteng captures that beautifully.
My last visit to Common Grounds was in April 2025, and the experience has always been consistent. I highly recommend this place, and I make sure to always visit when I'm in Jakarta.
https://share.google/uJUuRCk0o6DKFWB43
You know the coffee is banging when there’s a takeaway involved π€πΌπ€πΌπ€πΌ
ReplyDelete