clod coffee bar and roasters
clod offers curated brews from all around the world. Named after the second album by Taiwanese indie rock band No Party for Cao Dong, clod promises refined taste and a well-rounded coffee experience. I was walking around Taman Melodies with my partner in late March 2025. I've been to JB many times before and was looking for something new. As we walked around, my partner recommended we check out this place called Clod. I'd like to start by saying, this is her favourite cafe! She loves everything about it. No Party for Cao Dong is also one of her favourite bands.
clod instantly feels like you've time-jumped into another dimension. The black and grey stone slabs and tiles, along with the white tiles and walls that make up the foundation and the design of the cafe, contrast beautifully with the rustic exterior of its surroundings. The barista is very friendly and deeply passionate about coffee. He walks up to us and hands us the menu while explaining the offerings.
clod has one of the most expensive menus I've come across so far. We really enjoyed going through the menu. They offer 40+ varieties of coffee with beans from Panama, Educador, Ethiopia, and the list goes on. The menu also offers a simplified version for those who may be overwhelmed. After spending some time going through the menu, which was already a very enjoyable experience, we placed our order.
I ordered a hot manual brew of the La Esmeralda Diamond Mountain Panama variety, and my partner ordered the cold Ayla Shentawene Ethiopia variety. We continued going through the extensive coffee menu as we waited for our brews. I was really impressed by the level of diligence and detail. The environment, along with the rich aroma of coffee, enhanced the overall atmosphere.
After waiting for about five minutes, the barista arrived with small cups of freshly ground beans. He encouraged us to enjoy the aroma. After a few deep inhalations, we could already tell that the roast was of very high quality. The aroma was very balanced and textured. The costs are a bit on the higher side, but for the quality you're getting, I think it's a hundred percent worth it.
We continued discussing what we wanted to try next time while listening to indie music playing in the background as our brews arrived. After waiting for my partner to take some really nice photos of our cups on beautiful charcoal-textured trays, I took my first sip. This was definitely one of the best coffees I'd tasted in Malaysia. It was complex, evolving and had a well-rounded mouthfeel. The notes came in one after the other as the flavour evolved towards the perfect aftertaste. I enjoyed both varieties but preferred the hot Panama one. I've been trying specialty coffee all over Malaysia. As someone who loves and prefers Indonesian beans, Malaysia is very different. Apart from the Melaka Liberica variety, people here prefer more subtle, balanced flavours as opposed to the strong, punchy notes that we get from Javanese, Aceh or Toraja varieties.
The brew at clod was a very enjoyable flavour journey. It was balanced but with hints of citrus that brought it more towards the fruity side with sweet and acidic undertones. In my experience, brewing and roasting beans of African and Central American varieties can be quite challenging. I found a lot of cafes either roast it to the point where it's too dark and bitter or roast it too light, which makes the flavour quite one-dimensional. The barista at clod however, is a magician. He was able to extract the flavours perfectly, creating a memorable experience.
I highly recommend this place to anyone and will definitely be back on my next visit to JB.
https://share.google/0YLyXFssann45UorH
Comments
Post a Comment