Bad Coffee & Liquor Club
Bad Coffee captures the Hong Kong spirit perfectly. Hidden inside a really old building in Yau Ma Tei, this place transports you back in time to the 60s. I discovered this place while walking around Hong Kong during the winter of Jan 2025. I was visiting with my partner to celebrate my birthday. We'd just had some amazing walnut dessert soup and were walking around Yau Ma Tei looking for some coffee. We eventually came across the Alhambra Building. It felt like we time-travelled through a portal. At the end of the corridor was Bad Coffee & Liquor Club. We walked past it at first, but then doubled back. The location is very unassuming, but it's one of the coolest spots in Hong Kong.
We slid the metal sliding doors and walked into the space. It felt very cozy and warm. Jazz music filled the space. There was a small counter with about four seats and a few seats towards the back. The shelves behind the counter were lined with magazines, cups and various assortments of items. The white countertop shone against the wooden walls of the cafe.
There were two chairs at the back along a thin ledge with a CRT playing retro clips that fit the mood perfectly. The menu at Bad Coffee is very simple. They offer your standard espressos, americano and Hong Kong style coffee. The place also turns into a Cocktail Bar at night with some really interesting menu items that I will definitely try the next time I visit. I ordered a hot americano, and my partner ordered the iced variation. This was a place of peace and refuge from Hong Kong's cold winters. The baristas were really friendly and welcoming too. We sat there absorbing the environment, waiting for our brews.
The coffee isn't very expensive. I'd say it falls in the middle of the coffee price bracket. It won't break your bank, and you're paying for quality. We spent a lot of time at this cafe. Sitting, listening to music, slowly sipping our coffee. After about an hour of contemplating imponderables, we headed out completely satisfied.
Some may think that this is only a specialty or pourover coffee blog. You'd be wrong. I do value coffee and all the beautiful flavours that can be extracted from this magical bean. But it's not only about the coffee. The environment, the community, the authenticity, all these factors are what come together to create memorable experiences. I've been to hundreds of cafes in my lifetime, but I only write about the ones that have left a long-lasting impression on me. Bad Coffee left quite an impression on us, we will remember that moment forever. Thank you. I'd highly recommend this place and will definitely be back.
https://share.google/3jRroc9asyCNi00pt
Comments
Post a Comment