Cold Blue Specialty Coffee

 A true gem of a cafe hidden amongst the historical facade of Ipoh's cityscape. We were on the second leg of our Malaysia trip. Feeling satisfied after exploring Penang's coffee culture, we were really excited for Ipoh. I'd heard great things about this city, especially the food. I was very curious about the coffee scene here. We were walking along Jalan Tun Sambanthan, exploring the city and taking in the sights and sounds. We came across a blue metal sign that read Cold Blue.


We hesitated for a bit and then walked up the small doorway up the stairwell. We eventually came upon what we thought was an office for an agency or roastery. Upon further inspection, we realised this was the cafe. One word I'd use to describe the cafe is white. The space was very minimal, with chairs and tables spread across the corners. The space felt very bright and open.


The barista was very friendly. After going through the menu, we decided to order two pourovers. One hot and one cold. I ordered a light roast Ethiopia variety (I forgot the name of the variety), and my friend ordered the Honduras Sherry variety. We took a seat by the huge window looking out towards Padang Ipoh, the huge field in the centre of the neighbourhood.

Time passed quickly while we watched some people playing football in the field. After about 10 minutes, the coffee arrived. It was a very hot day, and this cafe also offered refuge from the heat. We took sips of our respective brews, and our minds were respectfully blown.


This is hands down, and hands up, the best coffee I've ever had in Malaysia and maybe the whole world. I've been drinking speciality coffees for a long time, and have developed a taste for specific flavours. I know what I prefer and really enjoy fruity fermented brews. The hot poutover of the Ethiopia vareity was absolutely beautiful. Amazing mouthfeel, bold and balanced flavours, and the notes kept evolving as I continued to swish it around my mouth. It was the most beautiful crescendo with the perfect pleasant aftertaste. I've had many Ethiopia pourovers across Malaysia as they seem to be very popular, this one, however, is easily the best one in my opinion.


As we were experiencing this magical moment, dark clouds gathered and heavy rain showers scattered across the field. The football game got even more fun and intense. I absolutely love the rain. I couldn't have asked for a better moment. We sat there in silence, looking out at the horizon and sipping our coffees. Eventually, I took a sip of my friend's cold Honduras Sherry pourover. OH, MY FUCKING GOD!. I was experiencing these flavours for the first time. I was getting notes of caramel, chocolate, smoke, and whisky. It was a symphony of flavours coming together, a coffee opera with the rain as background music. It was a true moment of bliss. I will remember it for the rest of my life. Everything came together perfectly. We sat there for about an hour, just feeling true happiness. 

I loved it so much that I had to buy the beans. The coffee is moderately priced. I feel like it's a steal for the quality of the roasts and brews; however, it does fall in the mid-range speciality coffee bracket. Totally worth it! I enjoyed the Honduras roast for a month back at home, and it was almost as good as the one I'd tasted in the cafe, minus the rain and the vibes. I can't wait to return to Cold Blue and definitely recommend this place to anyone and everyone. 


https://share.google/F7DkxpcCC3yff2UuQ

Comments

Popular Posts