kar.ma Coffee Lalitpur

I often write about the value of Nongkrong. How cafes become spaces for community and people to get together, a second home for some or a private space to escape reality. Well, for a long period of time, Karma was my escape. Having lived in Kathmandu for a significant amount of time, I'd been looking for a place to hangout. A place to read, draw, make beats, just be by myself and spend quality time.

I discovered Karma during the winter of 2025. I was walking around Jamsikhel on my quest to find quality pourovers. I came across this huge building called Gyan Mandala. The building that used to be a school was now full of cafes, restaurants and creative spaces for art, dance and music. The whole environment embodied community. I started exploring and came across a janky wooden sign to the side of the staircase. "Karma Handmade". I had an instant deja vu moment, even though it was my first time. I later recalled that my partner had recommended this place to me on rednote.


As I made my way upstairs to the second floor, I was greeted by the warm and welcoming atmosphere of Karma Coffee.  Chairs and tables made out of car seats and cushions lay arranged along the narrow corridor with paper lamps and wooden signage on the wall. As I entered the main room, the counter was covered in cakes.


The staff is very welcoming and always greets me with a smile. I have been to Karma more times than I can count. I usually order their medium pourover with a variation of cake. This is was my first time trying Nepali coffee. The brews from Nepal are quite different compared to those in Indonesia or Ethiopia. They seem to have more of a subtle but distinct flavor. Very easy on the palette and a pleasant aftertaste. As someone who prefers fermented fruity roasts, I wasn't very impressed with it at first, but as my coffee palette keeps expanding, I find myself enjoying their coffee more often.


I definitely recommend their cakes. A bit on the sweeter side, but pairs perfectly with the coffee. I usually go for the Vegan Chocolate Cake. I was skeptical at first too, but it's easily one of my favourite cakes at the cafe. I also recommend their mint lemonade just because my brother is a huge fan and he'd be mad if I didn't mention it at least once.

Next door to the cafe, there is a handmade shop. Karma sells some beautiful items here. handmade spoons, trays, all sorts of cutlery and ceramics. The prices are very affordable, and the quality is really high. I have purchased their reusable coffee filters and ceramic dripper as part of my home brew setup. I definitely recommend checking out the store while your coffee is brewing.


I've spent a lot of time at Karma. The cafe was always my go-to spot for coffee and conversations with friends, family and strangers. Whether it's in the middle of a cold winter,  breezy spring or hot summer, I always find myself at karma. 



https://share.google/NLjJucIdb7VaNUx8N

Comments

Popular Posts