Fill In Blue
There are these moments in our lives where we accidentally stumble upon an unexpected place, and it changes our lives. Even if it's a minuscule change, it has a large impact, and you remember it forever. Fill in Blue was one of those places for me.
It was one of the best days of my life. I was visiting Jogja with my friends in the first week of April 2025. Despite the sweltering SEA heat, we ventured out to explore the city. I eventually ended up on a random street in the middle of a residential neighbourhood while looking for a vintage shop. That's when we came across Suska, a very friendly local who approached me with the biggest smile. He eventually invited us to his house for some tea and coffee. We also met Teo, his friend, who was running the vintage store out of his house. We ended up buying a vintage cassette of In Hard Beat Vol 01 and 02 by the legendary Koes Plus. We spent the whole afternoon chatting about music, culture, food and politics over some amazing tea and coffee. After our nongkrong session, he also took us around his village, introduced us to people in the neighbourhood, and told us about the history and culture of his district. We will never forget that experience and will forever be grateful for his hospitality. Terima Kasih Mas!
After this life-changing experience, we continued exploring the city. We walked through some alleyways, marvelling at the local architecture and eventually ended up on a main road. We were feeling hot, dehydrated and absolutely exhausted by that point. We walked for about forty minutes until we turned off the highway onto a side street. That's when we came across Fill In Blue. The cafe is located in a creative space, with an open dance studio right opposite. The place looked like an old traditional house that had been repurposed for art. We walked into the welcoming shade of the cafe and sat down at a small corner table. Even though the cafe was located in what looked like an open shed, we felt very comfortable there. A light breeze was flowing through, music playing softly on the speakers. A few people were sitting around, reading, drawing, smoking, and engaged in all sorts of arts and crafts.
The barista, who was very friendly, walked up to us with a smile and asked us if we wanted coffee. No menu, no shenanigans. He just said, "Hey, do you want coffee? With lemon?" and then walked away.
We just sat there in silence. We didn't speak to each other the whole time. We were part of the background. Just hanging out. Feeling the breeze, listening to the music, observing life around in and around the cafe. After about five minutes of waiting, our coffee arrived.
This was honestly one of the best coffees I've ever had in my life. As someone who loves specialty coffee, I tend to obsess over the beans, the roast and even brewing techniques. But at that point. I didn't care. All I wanted was a refreshing drink, and that lemon coffee was exactly what I needed. The brew was perfect. Great balanced flavour, amazing mouthfeel with a subtle sweetness on the palate. The lemon paired perfectly with the drink, creating a harmony of sour and sweet. It was truly magical.
We sat there for about an hour, sipping our coffee in silence. My mind was at peace. I'm generally a very anxious person; my mind is always running, even when I'm resting. But at that moment, I felt this calm wave of serenity rush over me. I felt like I was experiencing nirvana for the first time ever. This momentary bliss was absolutely life-changing. It was very nostalgic.
As a kid, I'd spend a lot of time lying down in the grass, looking up at the sky. Even as a teenager, I'd have moments where I'd just be sitting on a roadside staircase with some friends, hanging out, living life.
Those moments might have been lost in time, but the feeling still stayed with me. I missed those times deeply. The hustle and bustle of capitalism stops for no one. We all need to step back and take a moment to reflect, or just lie down and do nothing. I feel like that is when we're truly alive.
I was sitting in that cafe, doing nothing, and I had never felt more alive. This is why I love exploring coffee culture. It's not only about award-winning roasts or expensive blends. It's about these moments. Sharing stories with strangers over a drink or just sitting in silence and allowing your mind to wander. I didn't even take any photographs. I only took one photo on the way out to remember the place. I will always remember this cafe and the impact it had on my life. Thank you. I will definitely be back the next time I'm in Jogja
https://share.google/8E3Qd8nhKZJon1891
Comments
Post a Comment