Soul Specialty Coffee
Soul Specialty Coffee offers unique experiences within Vietnam's highly competitive mixology scene. I first visited Ho Chi Minh with a friend during the sweltering month of October 2024. We were exploring the local coffee scene while walking around the Nhiêu Lộc district. Saigon seemed to have a bustling coffee scene, but it was more focused on mixology. The cafes here were cooking up some really interesting combinations, and we were really enjoying all the different pairings. I got really hooked on coconut coffee over there. even though most of my friends think it's a disgusting combination. I still attempt to recreate it at home occasionally.
While checking out some stores around the area, we eventually walked up to Soul. The entrance was quite small with a couple of chairs outside along the narrow entryway. Upon entering, we were immediately greeted by the baristas. The space opened up and was quite cosy, with yellow lighting, music, and a few people sipping coffee while absorbed in their personal hobbies. We checked out the menu and were pleasantly surprised at the various offerings of cold brew. It was boiling outside, so we were looking for something to cool ourselves down. We discussed amongst ourselves and ordered the Grapefruit and Apricot Cold Brew.
We went outside to sit by the entryway and watch life along the streets of Saigon. After about ten minutes of waiting and chatting, the barista arrived with our drinks. I'd like to mention that the baristas were very friendly and accommodating. They even brought out a cooler into the entryway to help with the heat. The cold air, along with the fruity brews, was exactly what we needed at that moment.
I'd like to start by saying I'm not a huge fan of cold brew coffee. I've had a few good ones, but I feel like cold brewing coffee destroys the flavour completely, and you also have to deal with the issue of oxidation. I'd always go for an iced pourover if I needed something cold. The baristas at Soul, however, were freshly brewing the coffee with well-roasted beans. This observation made me quite happy, which was further elevated after tasting the brew. This was closer to an iced pourover with beautiful notes of apricot and grapefruit.
The drink was perfectly balanced. I could taste the coffee as well as the respective fruits. The flavours came together in the most beautiful harmony. We sat outside, relishing our drinks and could not stop talking about how good they tasted. We spent some time sipping our drinks and thanked the baristas on the way out. The cafe offers super affordable drinks at the highest quality. My partner just visited Ho Chi Minh two months ago and tried the cold brew. It was one of her favourite experiences, so I can happily say that the flavour and quality still hold up. I highly recommend this place. Next time I'm in Saigon, I will definitely be back to try some of their specialty coffee and more cold brews.
https://share.google/Pk0lPHc13Kep8M3bf
Added to my Vietnam itinerary thank you ☺️☺️☺️
ReplyDelete