Wuzz RATM

Located smack-dab in the middle of Jogja, Wuzz RATM offers refuge to late-night nongkrong seekers. I was visiting Jogja with some of my friends. We love the city's coffee culture. These cafes, however, aren't located in luxurious malls or gentrified neighbourhoods. They live alongside the streets. Always open late past midnight, these spaces are watering holes for the local community. 

We were walking around the city after dinner, exploring activist street art while looking for a place to get some midnight coffee. While walking along  Jalan Mayor Suryotomo, we first saw chairs and tables arranged alongside both sides of the road, full of people sitting, smoking and drinking coffee. We heard music coming from one of the shopfronts, where the crowds seemed to converge. We were instantly pulled towards the entryway, like moths to a punk flame.

The walls around the cafe were full of activist street art, and the signage displayed a cool graphic of a skull with a biker helmet. Inside, they had a simple setup with a banner hanging on some rope. We were instantly drawn towards this place and decided to get coffee here. The baristas were very friendly and welcoming. We ordered two V60 manual brews and a cold chocolate drink. We went outside and waited at one of the tables along the street. 

I'm always attracted to places like these. They're built by the community, for the community. Spaces like these encourage interactions and the sharing of ideas, music, and art. They're crucial to the future of the city, community and even the individual. I honestly wish we had more spaces like these around the world. This is one of the reasons Jogja is one of my favourite cities in the world.


Time passed really fast as we sat there, watching life go by. Cars sped along as local bikers stopped and gathered around us, smoking and sipping on coffee. The atmosphere was very lively. Our drinks eventually arrived after about 10 minutes of waiting. I've said this before, but I'm a huge fan of Indonesian coffee. I absolutely love beans from Aceh, Toraja, Java and all over the country. The coffee did not disappoint. It was perfect. The brew was balanced with notes of fermented fruit. Along with a great mouthfeel, the flavours evolved with every sip. It was the perfect drink for the perfect environment.


My friend, who had been trying a lot of Javanese chocolate drinks, said this was his favourite one so far. The flavours were earthy, fruity, and very complex. The sweetness perfectly complemented the smokiness of the chocolate. The place is open till 2AM, and the drinks are very affordable. I even went back there a second time during our last night in Jogja. I highly recommend this place and will definitely be back. If I lived in Jogja, I'd go there every night just to nongkrong and enjoy some great coffee.

https://share.google/u44LNHxALPibFKHKg

Comments

Popular Posts