Fuglen Jakarta
A cool jazz-kissa-themed cafe located in bougie South Jakarta that offers a quiet place to enjoy the passing of time. It was my third time visiting Jakarta with friends during the sweltering heat of April 2024. We were walking around South Jakarta along Jln Senopati looking for a space to cool down and escape the heat. We came across the ASHTA District 8 mall. Despite the place looking out of budget, we walked in to explore.
The space was very open yet felt quite cosy. The wooden decor, along with dim yellow lights, created this comfortable atmosphere. A wave of calm swept over me as I walked in. The baristas were very friendly and welcomed us with a smile.
We looked through their selection and chose two pourovers. One Ethiopian variety and one from Nicaragua. We sat down at one of the round tables and started discussing our coffee experiences in Jakarta. It's one of my favourite coffee cities in the world. Jakarta is also where I started my speciality coffee journey and developed my preferences. We were sitting there, listening to music and talking about coffee for about ten minutes when our brews arrived.
As someone who usually goes for local beans in Indonesia, it was my first time trying these varieties. I've tried beans from Ethiopia in Malaysia, and the brew tends to have a very well-balanced and well-rounded flavour. More on the subtle side with a pleasant aftertaste. This brew was a very different experience. It was similar to the brews in Indonesia, which had a stronger profile with a sweet aftertaste. The fruity-fermented mouthfeel was subtle, and I could taste a pleasant earthiness coming through as the flavours developed. I also really enjoyed the Nicaragua variety. I've been disappointed multiple times by Nicaragua roasts, but this one was perfectly done. It was earthy, sweet and very well-rounded. I was pleasantly surprised.
To be honest, the coffee at Fuglen is definitely on the expensive side, especially compared to the variety of great coffee in Jakarta and even Indonesia, which is much more affordable. However, I decided to write about this cafe because I feel like the cost justifies the quality. I've had a lot of coffee that is even more expensive than Fuglen and with below-average brews. This is why I chose to write about it. The calm, soothing atmosphere of the cafe paired with amazing pour-overs created a truly memorable experience.
I also bought their drip bags. I would like to say that I do buy a lot of drip bags from coffee shops and have always had a disappointing experience. The drip bags at Fuglen were some of the most expensive bags I've ever bought. I still feel that this is justified because their drip bags are definitely the best drip coffee I've ever had in my life. No competition. It was exactly like the coffee I'd tried at the cafe; I was absolutely shocked at the quality of these bags. I highly recommend y'all try it out if you're feeling rich.
As we sat there sipping coffee, it started raining outside, making the atmosphere even more comfortable. I was so satisfied after this experience and ready for a well-earned siesta. I definitely recommend Fuglen and will definitely be back next time I'm in Jakarta.
.https://share.google/2mnc2XTrwjTDoCkhO
Comments
Post a Comment