The Hummingbird Café & Roastery

Nested amongst the tranquil city streets of the Xuân Hòa ward in Saigon, Hummingbird Cafe offers great coffee and a space to đi cà phê. It was late 2024 and my first time visiting Saigon. I was very excited to check out the cafe culture. It was my first day in the city. I was walking around the area after checking out the OHQUAO Concept Store. Hummingbird was the first cafe I came across, as it was right around the corner. Located in what looked like a beautiful residence, covered in greenery. I instantly felt a sense of calm wash over me as I entered the space.


The barista was very welcoming and waited patiently as I browsed through the menu. I finally ordered their local manual brews along with a croissant and a scone. I went and sat down outside on the porch in front of the giant roasting machine in the compound. Even though it was a hot day, the gentle breeze and the canopy of greenery made me feel calm, cool, and comfortable.


I was visiting with a friend, and we sat there for about 10 minutes just taking in the sights and sounds of the city. Our drinks eventually arrived. It was my first time trying a local manual brew. I do not remember the exact details of the beans, but they were of Vietnamese origin. I do, however, remember the taste of the coffee. It was absolutely beautiful. Perfect balance between the sweet and fermented notes. A deep undertone of fruitiness that carried everything together with an amazing mouthfeel and finish. I was relishing every sip of the coffee. It was perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything better at that moment. We sat there enjoying the breeze, talking for an hour while enjoying the coffee.


I'd also like to talk about the food. The croissant was absolutely amazing. Perfect texture and flavour. Having lived in Portugal and travelled to parts of Europe before, I am familiar with everyday croissants at local cafes. In Europe, they're amazing, but I haven't had a lot of good ones in Southeast Asia. Until I tried Hummingbird's croissant. It was and still is the best croissant I've ever had in my entire life. I've tried a lot of amazing croissants around the region since then, but nothing beats this one. It was flaky, a little crispy, and soft; everything was balanced. The saltiness and butteriness were in perfect harmony, and I enjoyed every bite. The scone was also top tier. I don't usually like English scones because they are too dry and ruin my palate. I do enjoy the occasional Japanese scones from local bakeries. The scone at Hummingbird had the perfect texture. It was not dry, not too cakey. Crumbly, soft and had a perfect amount of subtle sweetness that paired perfectly with the coffee.


I don't usually talk about food in my coffee blog, but they elevated the coffee-drinking experience to the point where I remember them quite distinctly. The prices are a bit on the higher side for Vietnam, but you are paying for quality, and it is definitely worth it. I highly recommend this cafe and will definitely be back on my next visit.

https://share.google/fI0iDCzeP8bh29YkZ

Comments

Popular Posts